Friday, May 6, 2011

Thor - The God of thunder

Saw the midnight showing of Thor last night, and I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed.

When you look at the other Marvel movies, especially those leading up to the Avengers movie, Thor just fell a bit flat for me. It seems to me that rather than make a really, really great movie, the entire point of Thor was to introduce the character for the Avengers project.

The story line was predictable, and lacked depth. Sibling rivalry, arrogant young heir that needs the be taught a lesson, learning that lesson in the last place he really wanted to be. I mean, come on Marvel. After awesome movies like The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man, I expected a lot more from Thor.

Not to say there weren't some good things about it. I thought Chris Hemsworth's performance as Thor was really great, and no, not just because he's smokin' hot. His range of emotion was really something, and completely believable. Arrogance, pride, disappointment, disbelief, courage, gallantry, love and affection. But in true Thor form, never fear, and every second of it, effortless. I think Chris Hemsworth has a ton of talent that we're just seeing a tiny glimpse of in this movie. He has two more movies coming out this year, and I'm hoping that when I go to do the research on them, I find that they are more meaty, complicated roles. I have no doubt that he can more than handle it.

Natalie Portman is always a superb actress, but I'm not sure she was the right choice for this role. I mean, it was interesting to see her as a kind of, love struck, giggling girl in the face of Thor's charm, but to be honest, there wasn't a ton of depth in the character, and I can't help but wonder if the role might have been a little to easy for an actress of her abilities.

As I suspected, Asgard was beautiful, opulent and rich in detail. From the wide shots of the realm as a whole, to the interiors of the buildings, to the cinematography, Asgard was everything I hoped it would be. Absolutely stunning. What amazing places that can be created with green screen.

Before the Avengers movie comes out, we have Captain America to consider, and my opinion, after seeing Thor, is that its going to have to be a hell of a lot better to keep my interest in the Avengers movie high.

Oh, and again, if you're don't already know from the previous Marvel movies, stay until after the credits!

No comments:

Post a Comment