Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Three Musketeers - Coming October 14, 2011 (Canada)

Director - Paul W.S. Anderson
Lead Actors
D'Artagnan - Logan Lerman
Porthos - Ray Stevenson
Athos - Matthew MacFadyen
Aramis - Luke Evans
Queen Anne - Juno Temple
M'Lady De Winter - Mila Jovovich
Duke of Buckingham - Orlando Bloom
Cardinal Richelieu - Christoph Waltz


I am so excited about this movie. I saw the teaser trailer (above) for it on Friday when I went to see Hanna. This movie looks like its going to kick some serious butt! I mean look at the top cast!

A 19-year-old Logan Lerman, possibly best known for very charismatic performances in Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief  and Gamer will be taking on the role of D'Artagnan in this remake of the classic Alexandre Dumas novel of the same name. I'm excited to see him in this role. He's a terribly charming young actor, and I think he'll be able to pull off this role with ease.

Juno Temple, another young talent at 22, will be playing the role of Queen Anne. Juno is known to me from roles in Atonement, The Other Boelyn Girl and Notes on a Scandal. In the Other Boelyn Girl Juno played Jane Boelyn, a young woman at the mercy of the men in her life who is married to the ill fated George Boelyn. The character was a strong one, if a little damaged. I think the role of Queen Anne will be an easy one for her to fill. She's had the practice of acting as you would in a court setting, and Queen Anne will be an opportunity to spread those wings that much further.

Mila Jovovich is another name that should definitely be noted in this upcoming release. After finding that the director for Musketeers (Paul W.S. Anderson) is also responsible for directing Resident Evil  and Resident Evil: Afterlife it doesn't come as much of a surprise that Mila was cast in this movie. She'll be playing M'Lady De Winter who in short, is the bad.......girl, of the story. And based on what you see of her in the trailer, she's a force to be reckoned with! She's amazing in everything I've seen her in, and Musketeers will be no exception.

The Musketeers themselves, Porthos, Athos and Aramis are played by Ray Stevenson, (Punisher: War Zone, King Arthur) Matthew McFadden, (Pillars of the Earth, Pride and Prejudice) and Luke Evans (Clash of the Titans, Robin Hood) respectively. All are faces I recognize, but with the exception of Ray Stevenson, I haven't seen them in roles that were as actions packed as I'm expecting to see in Musketeers. Most recently I saw Matthew McFadden in the miniseries Pillars of the Earth where he played a rather mild mannered Prior, so I'm very interested to see how he does as a Musketeer.

Finally, we have Orlando Bloom as The Duke of Buckingham and Christoph Waltz as Cardinal Richelieu. So, the cast is definitely top notch.

For me however, whenever a movie is made of any kind of classic literature, integrity to the original story is just as important as anything else, maybe even a little more. Unfortunately, this is a Dumas novel that I have not read, and since the trailer is so short, and the plot summary so succinct, its hard to determine how true this movie will stay to Dumas' original work. Of course the release date isn't until October, so I have plenty of time to get that novel under my belt.

I have very high hopes for this movie, based on the cast and director. What I've seen in the trailer looks great, and that's only the teaser trailer. Time will tell, but I would bet money that this is a movie that my boyfriend and I will add to our +400 strong DVD collection.

7 comments:

  1. Hello there! I would just like to point out that the actors name playing Athos is Matthew Macfadyen and not McFadden as in the text above or MacFayden as in the labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If integrity to the original literature is important to you this is not the movie for you. I will probably see it, because I love Orlando Bloom, Ray Stevenson, and silly things. I won't be seeing it for it's respectful portrayal of Dumas' story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are people really that insecure in themselves that they cannot have their own opinions without being rude or condescending to someone else?
    Honestly, I really could not possibly care less what anyone else thinks about my opinion, and your bullying isn't going to make me change it. I know exactly who I am. That being said, it is possible to disagree with the writer or other people who have posted comments without being rude, disrespectful or in anyway negative. See Sabrina's comment of July 2nd. For that reason, and that reason alone, rude comments will not be tolerated, and for that reason have been deleted. Keep it respectful, or keep it to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respectfully, I can not see how you come to the conclusion you have. This guy is a bit OTT, but essentially argues the counterpoint to your post.

    http://www.therantfiles.com/index.asp?p=3&a=39

    "Lousy actors, preposterously over-the-top production and soulless."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its a little premature to call a movie soulless based on a trailer.
    Lets face it, consumers in general are looking for explosions, fights and action in movies like this, so understandably, they cut the trailers to highlight those things. There's no way to say definitively at this point that this movie won't have heart and some depth.
    If you have ever read the novel, you will find that a lot of the narrative is VERY over the top, cheesy even. Musketeers saying things in unison, flattering each other etc.
    As for the acting, I couldn't disagree more. As mentioned in my original post, I feel all of the main people cast in this movie have serious props.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know what TV you get in Canada from the BBC but Macfadyen has been a favourite of theirs for years and it's always been a source of much pondering as to why. He's bland and charismaless.

    In Spooks a programme where he's supposed to work for MI5, a bomb is about to go off and he shows absolutely no concern, not in the cool, calm, professional (and vaguely realistic) way that Hermione Norris plays the same role in later series. It's in the "I'm an actor, none of this is real so it doesn't matter" way.

    He played a good part in the episode of Ashes to ashes he was in where he had to sit in a bath of beans, other than that everything I've seen him in has been as wooden and lifeless performance as "you want to be a musketeer, this is your chance" said in his dull monotone.

    This is a film where Jason Statham would have been better cast as Porthos, an OTT action star, rather than a vaguely dull character actor.

    Ray Stevenson, excellent for the role, then again I'd have him in anything. In Rome he was appropriately brutally violent, uncertain and funny depending on the scene and you could tell which emotion he was portraying. Same in every film (though Volstagg really needed to be an immensly fat guy ;)

    Orlando Bloom's abilities seem to depend entirely on the film, he never transcends the production. In Lord of the Rings he's not asked to do much other than quip a bit and manages fine, in Pirates 1, he's not bad, in pirates 2 & 3 he's awful (but then again, so is the rest of the film) in Kingdom of heaven he's awesome.

    As this production looks dodgy I can't see him doing well.

    I read the book when I was a kid and while my memory ain't what it used to be, it wasn't cheesey to the point of flying boats :P

    True there's the suspension of disbelief but it takes a huge ballon to carry 3 men and a wicker basket, how big should the balloon be that'll carry a galleon and how many cannon?

    Also, no recoil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I really think that will be the best movie of this novel, seems to be much better then the last ones, even with things that we alread seem that doesn't have on the book, but then again the movies are never 100% faithful on the books, and the story is long, so the have to adapt so it won't be a long and boring film. About the actors, for what I've seem their are very good. I'am looking forward to see it, cause I really like the book, and the caracters. I really believe that will be a great movie.
    Bye.

    ReplyDelete