Friday, April 22, 2011

Larry Crowne - Coming July 1, 2011

Director - Tom Hanks

Main Characters
Larry Crowne - Tom Hanks
Mercedes Tainot - Julia Roberts

Although Tom Hanks' directing credits include some movies that I've really enjoyed and have done very well like Band of Brothers, That Thing You Do and A League of Their Own, I'm far from being sold on this movie.

I mean, the plot obviously is something that a lot of people will be able to relate too. Its no secret that many people who have been downsized, as Tom Hanks' character Larry Crowne has been in this movie have decided to go back to school to try and jump start their lives. Also, Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks have always been favourite actors of mine. That being said, I'm just not sure that this movie is going to be something I'm going to enjoy. The trailer leaves me with a feeling of, 'I'm gonna wish it was better.' Anyways, back to the plot, Roberts plays Mercedes Tainot, a teacher in one of Larry's classes, who he develops a crush on, and the romance and comedy flows from there, I guess.

Then again, I really feel like I'm not in the demographic of people that this movie was produced for. Lets face it, Hanks and Roberts aren't young anymore, and that's obviously going to reflect in the roles they take on going forward.

I think people that are in a similar situation to the characters in this movie will find it enjoyable because of the relate-ability factor, but for the rest of us? I just dunno if its going to fly. Its already clear that the all important opening weekend at the box office is not going to do any favours for this movie, as it opens the same day as Michael Bay's much anticipated Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the third installment of the Transformers franchise. I think the only hope for this movie to do well over-all will be strong word of mouth from people who do see it, and hopefully solid DVD sales later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment