Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Something Borrowed - Its a thin line between love and friendship.

So I just got in from finally seeing Something Borrowed, and let me just say, thank goodness John Krasinski was cast in this movie.

Something Borrowed is very much your typical romantic comedy. There's a selfish friend, Darcy (Kate Hudson) who takes advantage of her very selfless friend, Rachel. (Gennifer Goodwin) The selfish friend is engaged to this hot, but also intelligent, sensitive guy, Dex (Colin Egglesfield) who Rachel is actually in love with, you know how it goes.

But imagine for a moment your typical romantic comedy without one single moment of comedy. I know, scary right? Well, if it wasn't for John Krasinski, that's exactly what this movie would have been. Krasinski plays Ethan, a childhood friend of both Darcy and Rachel, who hasn't been sucked into all that is Darcy, and still cares for the feelings and well being of Rachel. I've always loved John Krasinski, and in Something Borrowed he gave another of his terribly subtle, but all the more funny for the finesse performances. Every single laugh out loud moment in this movie was either because of something his character was doing, or was precipitated by something he was doing.

Gennifer Goodwin is always charming, but I would like to see her play the lead in less of an ensemble cast setting. I mean, sure, technically this movie was about her character, but her character spent a lot of the movie living in the background of her own life. Okay, so she got it together in the end, but I'd love to see her play someone who starts out the story with it together, and deals with other things along the way.

As for Kate Hudson, as far as I can see, she played the exact same character that she played in Bride Wars with Anne Hathaway, the only difference being that her character in this movie was simply completely selfish, without any of the redeeming qualities of the character she played in Bride Wars.

It turns out I've seen Colin Egglesfield in quite a few things, whether movies or TV shows, but I really don't remember him from any of them, being that the things I've seen that he was in, were obviously bit parts for him. I thought he did a good job, even managing to get teary-eyed in the appropriate places.

Lets face it, we don't go to romantic comedies to have some kind of epiphany on life, or even expecting to be taken on some kind of emotional roller coaster, and Something Borrowed didn't disappoint. I went in with very specific expectations, and I got exactly what I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment