Saturday, April 23, 2011

Melancholia - Coming Soon

Director - Lars von Trier

Main Characters
Justine - Kirsten Dunst
Claire - Charlotte Gainsbourg
John - Keifer Sutherland
Michael - Alexander Skarsgard

When I first saw the title for this movie, I thought we were in for an emotionally charged drama, which I still think we are, but this movie also falls under the category of science fiction.

Justine (Kirsten Dunst) is getting married to Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) at the home of her sister Claire (Charlotte Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law John (Keifer Sutherland). Meanwhile, a planet that's been hiding behind the sun becomes visible. The planet is called Melancholia, and its heading straight for earth. As it gets closer, it sets off a destructive chain of physical and psychological events.

I think this is a terribly refreshing take on the end of the world story line. I mean, why do end of the world movies always have to have aliens, or huge explosions?

As for performances, Charlotte Gainsbourg is a favourite actress of mine since her portrayal of Jane in the 1996 production of Jane Eyre and I'm very much looking forward to seeing her in action again.

Kirsten Dunst has always been kind of a hit and miss actress for me. I loved her in Marie Antoinette and Mona Lisa Smile but simply could not stand her in the Spiderman franchise. Melancholia however, looks to me like its going to be a hit.

I'm very interested to see this movie. The trailer is very engaging, and I can only expect that the movie will live up to that. Although  there is no North American release date for Melancholia as of yet Magnolia Pictures has picked up the movie for release in Canada and the US. I'll post an update as soon as we get a release date confirmed.

3 comments:

  1. It comes out May26,2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trailer looks boring

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's already pissing me off. Hiding behind the sun? Might or might not hit? Sounds like Spiderman physics.

    ReplyDelete